Thursday, March 5, 2009

West Virginia, Mountain Mama, Take me home!

It's official!

I've just purchased my plane ticket to Pittsburgh, PA and will be staying with one of my very best friends, Ashley Mazeroski in Weirton, WV for a few days and then will go to stay with my cousin, Sonya who is engaged to be married in August for a few days in Buckhannon, WV (my old hometown). I'm stoked! It has been far too long since I've seen these lovely ladies and I'm in dire need of a vacation. I'll be gone May 8-17 and while there will get to re-live a childhood memory of the annual Buckhannon Strawberry Festival.

The strawberry festival was the highlight of my year as a child when we lived in Buckhannon. It was always the perfect kick off for summer! The weather is beginning to warm up, sweet delectable, melt in your mouth strawberries can be found EVERYWHERE in every shape, form and size and there are many other festivites such as parades, carnivals, live music, craft shows, car shows, exhibits, auctions, block parties etc. I'm so excited! I haven't been back to Buckhannon but once since my precious Grandma passed away and I always get very sentimental when I am there. I love it though and I miss my family there immensely! I just wish my immediate family could go with me. However, it will be nice to venture out on my own, for once. This will be my first flight alone! I'm a little nervous, but I know it will be fine.

I'm definitely looking forward to spending time with Ashley and Ryan and hanging out in Pittsburgh. I'm also looking forward to the shopping in Pittsburgh, going to PF CHANGS (my absolute favorite) and being around the incredible Mazeroski family and other great people. I know I'm not going to want to leave. I can't wait to see my aunt, uncle and cousins and feel like I'm 8 years old again as I walk the old streets of Buckhannon. Sonya is more like a sister to me than a cousin. We always loved AND fought just as sisters do. She is my sister. I just had to make a trip up to be with her before she is a married lady this august! I also have the profound privilege of being in her wedding this August, so I imagine that there will be lots of fun wedding talk and things to do while I'm there! I love weddings :)

You may call me crazy for vacationing in West Virginia but to be honest, there is no place I'd rather go because it's all about the people to me! I also happen to adore the mountains of West Virginia. I lived there for 7 years when I was little and have nothing but happy childhood memories there. I love it. It's apart of my history, apart of who I am.

I also do happen to live in an amazing vacation spot, so I can go to the beach anytime I want! I'm longing for the mountains and the crisp air that they produce.

So...

Country roads, take me home :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOORAY for Vacation!!!! You'll have a blast! And you'll be in my home state! (Far far away from me though! Dang!)

AmberDenae said...

Really?! That sucks. I actually thought about you as I bought my ticket today. Too bad it's so far :( I'm super excited though! I love that part of the country and I really love the people up there. It shall be great and I fully intend on having a blast! Maybe next time I can swing by your town! :)

Anonymous said...

That's great to hear! :D Pittsburgh does have some great shopping & restaurants.. I miss occasionally going there on weekends. I hope you have the best trip of your life!